Undergraduate students must be/have:
- United States citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.,
- undergraduates at a U.S. university or college with a scientific major,
- a G.P.A. of 3.0/4.0 or better (recommended), and
- considering pursuing a graduate degree (M.S. or Ph.D.).
Students with physics, material science, chemistry, applied mathematics, computer science, or engineering majors are always encouraged to apply. There may be research opportunities for students with other majors.
In order to apply to the NIST SURF program, WVU's Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) must submit institutional applications (separate applications for NIST SURF Gaithersburg and NIST SURF Boulder) in which WVU nominates and endorses students for the NIST SURF program. The number of applicants WVU can endorse may be limited by the NIST SURF program. Completion of the online interest form informs the WVU Office of Undergraduate Research that you are interested in NIST SURF, so that OUR can contact you to continue the process.
Before completing the internal interest form, you need to do some research into the NIST SURF program. You should:
1) Check over the NIST SURF websites at https://www.nist.gov/surf/surf-gaithersburg (Gaithersburg, MD) and https://www.nist.gov/surf/surf-boulder (Boulder, CO), respectively. Learn about the SURF program’s eligibility requirements (U.S. citizen or permanent resident attending a U.S. College or University), housing, opportunities, and application.
NOTE: If applicant is enrolled as an undergraduate as of the application deadline date, then applicant is eligible to apply. In other words, seniors with May/June 2017 graduation may apply.
2) Look over the research programs and labs available to students at:
https://www.nist.gov/surf/surf-gaithersburg/research-programs (Gaithersburg) and
https://www.nist.gov/surf/surf-boulder/research-opportunities (Boulder) and rank order your preferences.
After looking over the NIST SURF information, are you interested still in being considered for the NIST SURF program? If so, please complete the internal interest form and work with the WVU Office of Undergraduate Research to submit your preliminary materials for consideration. Upon submission of the interest form, you will receive an email with instructions. WVU will not endorse an applicant who does not work with the Office of Undergraduate Research on the application process.
Dates and Deadlines:
The 2018 NIST SURF program is expected to run between May 21-August 3, 2018 (11 weeks) or June 4-August 3, 2018 (9 weeks; a limited number of spots available). OUR will assume that you will be applying for the 11 week program, unless you notify OUR otherwise.
The deadline for completion of this internal interest form is December 13, 2017 by/before noon. All components of your internal WVU application are due by/before January 12, 2018 to insure enough time for selections and submission of the complete institutional application by the February 2, 2018 deadline. Note: The 2018 application deadline has not been established. However, mid-February was the application deadline for the 2017 NIST SURF program.
Questions? Please contact the WVU Office of Undergraduate Research email@example.com.