The Toxicology Mentoring and Skills Development Training Program (ToxMSDT), housed at the University of California Davis, is a special opportunity for underrepresented undergraduate students to participate in a year-long mostly remote toxicology training and mentoring program.
Funded by the National Institute of Health, the goal of this program is to attract diverse undergraduate students from around the United States to pursue careers in biomedical research, especially in the field of toxicology. Successful applicants will be teamed with a mentor meeting remotely throughout the year. In-person activities include the program kickoff workshop at the University of California Davis, a visit to the mentor’s work site, attendance of the annual Society of Toxicology meeting, and a celebration of the program successes at the Capstone Event at Tuskegee University. Online learning modules are provided throughout the duration of the program to increase mentees knowledge about toxicology.
Travel cost support for programmatic activities will be provided by ToxMSDT. This program supplements the regular academic pursuits of students. Start date is September 05, 2023, with the end date of May 29, 2024.
Applications are open from February 15, 2023, until April 30, 2024. Access the application portal here: ToxMSDT- Appy Here
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Completion of at least one semester of general biology and general chemistry
- Enrolled in an accredited undergraduate institution at the time of application, with continuing enrollment for the next academic year concurrent with the ToxMSDT program.
- Member of a group underserved in the biomedical sciences (more information can be found here: disadvantagedbackgrounds, NIH notice).
- US citizen or US permanent resident
- Due to institutional requirements, we encourage applications from fully vaccinated COVID-19 individuals only (information on vacation requirements can be found here)
We have created a recruitment video that can also be found on our LinkedIn page (https://www.linkedin.com/in/toxmsdt-toxicology-75963a182).
For more information, please reach out to La Cole Blackshire, Lblackshire@ucdavis.edu